Monday, August 22, 2011

Cute Easy Pillows? Yes Please!

Anthony lived in Houston a little over a year before we got married and I moved down here.  As things turned out, we ended up renewing his lease and I simply moved into his apartment.  The decor I can only describe as "bachelor-esque."  I, of course, immediately set out to make it feel more homey, and less like his apartment that I visited for the past year.  

Part of his bachelor pad consisted of a brown couch and tan recliner.  Both are pretty comfy, and the best part is that were given to him!  (Thanks Sue!)  The only drawback was that they looked a little bland by themselves.  Here's what they looked like before:


I decided my first homey touch would be to add a few simple pillows.  What I thought would be simple, turned out to be a HUGE project.  

I looked at every store I could think of...I mean absolutely EVERY store I could think of.  I even got suggestions from about 8 different people of other stores I should check out.  Now, I don't know if you've gone pillow shopping recently or not, but they get super expensive super quickly.  I tried to get two pillows for the couch and it was going to cost a whopping $129.00!  And they were just plain brown! And I didn't really even like them!  I definitely needed to go a different route.

I thought about making pillows, but I don't have a sewing machine here, nor do I have room for one.  I briefly considered hand sewing them, but quickly decided that was a HORRIBLE idea. :)  As luck would have it, I ran across a blog for no sew pillows:


 All you need is hem tape and an iron! Totally genius!  I then found another blog for the inspiration for a design:


So I bought fabric, spent a Saturday afternoon putting them together, and voila! Brand new, one-of-a-kind, super cute pillows!  And get this...all of my supplies cost WAAAAAAY less than those two icky brown pillows.  Here's what the final product looks like:



 Super cute, right?!  I just love finishing new projects...

Love, Sara :)

1 comment: