Monday, December 12, 2011

Marshmallows With A Side of Hot Chocolate

I have a confession... I love marshmallows.  Like, love, love, LOVE marshmallows.  Just ask anyone that lived in my sorority house with me.  Our house mom would always have marshmallows in the kitchen for a snack.  She refilled the container at least once a week.  She even found a newspaper article that talked about how marshmallows are linked to happiness and posted it in the kitchen just for me!  I've tried all kinds of marshmallow brands and flavors, and I have a favorite.  Weird?  Maybe.

Now this marshmallow thing is nothing new.  When I was young (like 6 or so) I would sneak into the kitchen and get marshmallows from the kitchen.  That is until I shared some with my younger cousin Rachel (who was 3 at the time) and told her not to tell my mom so I wouldn't get in trouble.  She went straight to the bathroom where my mom was getting ready, (this is how vividly I remember this event) held out her hand full of marshmallows and said, "Sara gave me these but I'm not supposed to tell you we have them."  Marshmallows were not bought for quite a while...

So that I didn't look too crazy, I figured I needed to have marshmallows with something else.  In comes my love of hot chocolate!  In college I drank hot chocolate at least once a day (even when it was hot) just so I could have an excuse to have my marshmallows.  I tried every type of hot chocolate too.  Yes, I had ones I liked pretty well, but nothing I HAD to have like my marshmallows.  

A couple of years ago I decided to try to make my own hot chocolate, and let me tell you, I found THE BEST hot chocolate recipe EVER.  I like it so much that I drink it without marshmallows now...yes, it's THAT good.  Here's my recipe! (adapted from the original I made...which I have no clue where it came from)

Sara's Super Duper Doesn't-Even-Require-Marshmallows Hot Chocolate:
6 1/2 cups powdered milk
1 (5 oz.) packet of chocolate pudding
1 cup hot chocolate mix
1/2 cup powdered creamer (You can use ANY flavor and make it unique for you! I used Peppermint Mocha this time, but most everything I have tried is good...makes it a little more exciting!)
1 cup powdered sugar (my mom likes it with 1/2 cup, but my sweet tooth says it needs a full cup :) )
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

Gather all of your ingredients.

Through trial and error, I've found that it is easiest to measure out ALL of your ingredients before you start...

In a large bowl or container (I use a container because you can mix it really easily) pour in about half of each ingredient.


See all of the pretty layers?! Now, put on the lid and shake until mixed.

Ta-Dah!

Now add the rest of all of the ingredients, replace lid, and shake until thoroughly mixed.


Doesn't that look yummy?!  And it makes A TON...well, a ton for a normal person, about 3 weeks worth for me. :)  Mix 1/3 cup of mix with one cup of boiling water.  If you like less or more of a chocolatey flavor, you can adjust it. 

 ***After adding water, stir, stir, STIR! And then when you think it's stirred enough, stir some more!  Some of the ingredients don't dissolve quickly, and you DO NOT want to ruin your first taste with globs of unmixed mix! :) ***
Like I said before, my marshmallow kick has died down a lot since I discovered this hot chocolate.  Now, I like using whipped cream!  (And I forgot to buy the marshmallows at the store when I was taking pictures....) I found this delicious peppermint whipped cream!  How yummy does that sound?!

And the finished product!! Mmmmm...

I'm telling you, this mix changed my life...less marshmallows, more chocolate!  It's creamy, sweet, SUPER easy and next to impossible to mess up!  Try it and let me know what you think!!  Merry Christmas! (Almost..)

Love, Sara :)

1 comment:

  1. This looks great Sara! I can't wait to try it. I am going to give it to my neighbors this year with a chocolate dipped spoon. :)

    ReplyDelete