Thursday, September 22, 2011

Disastrous Dinner

I like to think of myself as somewhat creative and economical in various areas of my life.  In the kitchen, I like trying to make new things and making up my own recipes.  The economical side is that I hate having things go to waste.  I decided to use some stuff we had and throw together dinner for tonight.

When looking through the pantry, I thought it would be such an awesome idea to use the Hamburger Helper and make something super yummy.  I know, I know...Hamburger Helper is not my thing AT ALL, and I promise it was here before I moved.  First, I hate hamburgers.  Second, I RARELY use something straight from a box.  My economical side came out and just couldn't throw it out.  No worries, I checked the expiration and it was totally fine! :)

On the back of the box it said they had "creative addition" ideas on their website.  I thought it would be genius to make it with chicken instead of ground beef, and then add stuff from the creative addition section to make it more of my own.  I had the hamburger mac and cheese flavor, and they suggested adding corn...weird, I know, but for some reason I thought it was a GREAT idea.  So I added corn.  Bad idea #1.  Well, I guess the chicken was Bad Idea #1, so corn was Bad Idea #2.  The corn tainted the WHOLE thing and every bite tasted like corn...yuck.  I then just tried adding stuff to mask the corn.  First came onions.  Those weren't so bad, but then came spices... Let me just say, Garlic Powder and Onion Powder were good choices.  Cumin?  Absolutely not.  

The dish was awful, however Anthony was super sweet and kept telling me how wonderful it was.  When I made a comment about the nasty corn, he said, "The corn is what made it!  Definitely wouldn't be the same without it."  You can say that again.  The only upside is that I made Funfetti bars for dessert.  At least we had something to look forward to!!

Since tonight's dinner was so bad, I thought I'd share a recipe I made from my friend Elyse's blog.  They are breakfast cups and super yummy.  Anthony and I both LOVE breakfast food, but not really for breakfast.  We made these for dinner last week and here is the recipe: 


How cute are they?!  These were so delicious and had the toast, egg, and bacon all in one little bite. Anthony suggested we do scrambled eggs in the middle next time, but I think they will take away from the simplicity and cuteness of them.  I'm sure I'll try them with scrambled eggs, and I will get back to you on how they turn out.  :)  Have a great rest of your week, and steer clear of Hamburger Helper!!!

Love, Sara :)

No comments:

Post a Comment