Friday, September 2, 2011

Kitchens + Chalkboards = Pure Greatness

One of my favorite things about getting married and receiving wedding gifts, is the fact that I now have all of these really cool baking and cooking tools that I never had while living with my parents.  Between our mixer, baking mat, brand new baking pans, knives, and food processor, I now have found my new home-within-our-home in the kitchen.  Well, the kitchen has always been my home-within-my-home, but all the cool tools make it even better.  :)

One of the gifts we got that I LOVE goes right along with all these cool tools.  They are heavy ceramic containers for flour, sugar, coffee, etc.  They have this really cool seal thing inside them and make me feel like I'm on a cooking show.  



Cute, right?!  My only problem is that our counter is white and they blend in with it.  They looked kinda weird sitting there.  I then decided to keep them in our pantry, but they are so stinkin' heavy!!  Definitely a problem with all the baking I do.  

While watching one of my new all time favorite cooking shows, Kelsey's Essentials, I saw she had similar containers, but they had the cutest little chalkboard labels on them.  Being a teacher, I have a special soft spot for chalkboards and chalk. :)  I really wanted to put chalkboards on mine, but what if I didn't want the chalkboard on there in a few years?

Then...it hit me...Da da da DAH!  CHALKBOARD STICKERS!!  I already had chalkboard paint, so I had Anthony pick up contact paper on his way home.

 So I cute a square of contact paper and spray painted it with my chalkboard paint...




printed a design off of the computer and traced it on the back of the contact paper...


cut out the labels...

stuck them on the containers...


and wrote what is in each one!!  (You can't really tell, but I wrote them in green chalk to match the rest of the kitchen :) )


Now, how much cuter is that?!  And when I get tired of them, off they go and the containers are back to normal. Now I just have to figure out what to do with the rest of that chalkboard paint...

Love, Sara :)


1 comment: