Monday, October 24, 2011

No Blueberry Scones?! Again?!

There is a local coffee shop back in Dallas that I just LOVE.  They have the best chai lattes and the absolute most delicious blueberry scones I have ever had.  I'm not completely sure where my love of scones came from... it may be that they remind me of my first time to have high tea in London with Grandma and "the girls", and, therefore, they make me feel fancy, but I'm not totally sure.  Anyway, I try scones any chance I get, and these blueberry scones are the best I've ever had.

A couple of weeks ago I was in Dallas for Holly's wedding.  I was there for a total of 4 days, and planned on having my chai latte and blueberry scone at least twice. ...I mean, come on, they are THE BEST and it's not like I can go get one whenever I want.  So I drove over Thursday and... THEY WERE OUT!  I didn't fret, because I was going to be there 3 more days.  So Friday I drove over... OUT AGAIN!!!  I was beginning to get a little nervous.  Saturday I tried again, and I guess third time is the charm because they had 1 left.  Yay!!  I finally got my scone!

The following Monday I had a day off from school, so to commemorate my experience, I decided to make homemade blueberry scones.  I found this recipe about 2 years ago when I had a snow day and, once again, couldn't get to my coffee shop for my scone. :)   Grandma Johnson's Scone Recipe (whoever that is!) is definitely one of my favorites!

Blueberry Scones

  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup chopped dried blueberries  
In a small bowl, blend the sour cream and baking soda, and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and  lightly grease a large baking sheet.  I have also used parchment paper, or if you have a handy dandy scone maker like I got for a wedding gift, that will work too. :)

In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar, and salt. Cut in the butter.
 

Stir in the sour cream mixture and egg until just moistened.  Then stir in the chopped dried blueberries.

Press the dough together with your hands until small ball forms.

Turn dough out onto a floured flat surface, or a baking mat.  Knead briefly, then roll or pat into a 3/4 inch thick circle.

Cut into triangles and place on baking sheet, or in handy dandy scone pan.  Lightly dust with sugar

Bake for 12 minutes until golden brown.

And Tah-dah!  Yummy homemade scones!

Now, these obviously aren't as good as the ones from my coffee shop, but they definitely are tasty.  By the way... when I was in Dallas this past weekend I went to the coffee shop Saturday morning, ordered my chai and scone, and went home.  I then realized they got my drink order wrong so drove back to get it fixed.  For my troubles they gave me another FREE blueberry scone... SCORE!! :)

Love, Sara :)

No comments:

Post a Comment