Friday, October 28, 2011

Pumpkins: Part One

One of my favorite things about fall is pumpkins.  I love the shape, the various sizes, the flavor, the sound of the word, pretty much everything... except for maybe the color.  I even call my Kinderfriends "pumpkin" and "pumpkin pie" on a daily basis - partly because it just makes them giggle, and partly because I just like pumpkins. I know October is almost over, but I thought I would share my fun fall/pumpkins decorations!

My first creation was a centerpiece for our table.  Now, pumpkins aren't the main attraction here, but they play an important role in the overall look. :)

So I gathered all my supplies: rectangular vase, baby's breath,
floral foam, brown burlap, raffia, and a knife

I measured and cut the floral foam to fit inside my vase.

Then, I measured my vase with the brown burlap, secured it with tape...

And finished wrapping the burlap around the vase.  Don't want to be able to 
see the floral foam! :) 

 Next, I wrapped the raffia around the burlap and tied a cute little knot.

 After filling with the baby's breath, it was ready for the table!  Here's where the pumpkin came in. :)


My second project involved yet another pumpkin.  Now, the best thing about this pumpkin is the AWESOME deal I got on it.  So I went to Hobby Lobby for a fake pumpkin.  They were originally $22 (a little ridiculous if you ask me...) but were on sale for 33% off.  I found one that was the correct size, but the stem was broken.  I knew I was going to cut off the top, so, being the genius that I am, I asked for an additional discount.  The manager upped it to 66% off.  Then, I gave them my 40% off coupon... and got my pumpkin for $4!!! Yay!!

Here's my pumpkin...

And a close up of my discount!!

I cut off the top,

Stuffed the pumpkin with floral foam, 

And filled the foam with baby's breath.

And here's the finished product!!
 And even though it has no pumpkins, here's my last fall decoration. :)

The thing I love most about the pumpkin decor is that it works for all through the fall.  And the best thing about baby's breath?  It dries exactly how you put it in the foam and stays FOREVER!!  Well, maybe not forever, but you get the idea.  :) Check back soon for Pumpkins: Part Two!!

Love, Sara :)

1 comment: